NEW YEAR'S QUIZ

on Dec 30, 2008

Linda at Sundry always does this questionnaire thing for the new year, and this year I can actually participate because I have a blog!

So here goes.


1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
I noticed Spring for the very first time. It made me not hate winter so much. I worked in Fairtrade which was an amazing experience, and I also went to the Lake District which was something I wanted to do for years.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make any last year, but I wish I had given up complaining.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, two of my Mexican friends did. One girl and one boy. Sadly, I haven't met them yet which sucks.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes, unfortunately my cousin's friend died in August this year. It was very sad, he was in his early 30's

5. What countries did you visit?
Mexico. Then we had to send our passports to the Home Office and they have kept them ever since.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
My own flat. Also, a job. Although I did have one for the best part of 2008 so I don't know if it counts.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Visiting Mexico in March for the first time in two years was quite shocking. I felt foreign and overwhelmed and sad. It was a very good experience because it helped me realized how much I have changed here in London. Launching a product that I designed and project managed on my own was amazing. That happened (Or should I say ended?) in September. Also, the day after my Birthday I was made redundant from Workplace. It was a nice present (NOT!)

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Launching my product (see above). It was very, very gratifying. Seeing it on the line coming out of the machine for the very first time was very cool.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Losing my job. I know it was the economy and not my fault at all but still, it sucks.
I also feel that I failed at being happier. Life got in the way a lot. I hope 2009 is better.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I got a horrible cold twice in a month. That's about it.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
We bought a Sony Bravia after not having a tv for almost two years.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My Husband's. He just impresses me with all the personal growth he does.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My Sister's. Life has not treated her well for a while, and she was angry and over sensitive for a long time. She is getting better though.

14. Where did most of your money go?
I very much wish I were saying it went to a house or a car or even a holiday. But nope, it went mostly to the old rent and food.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The AGM of ex workplace. I won't get into it but it was life-changing for me. And not because I was in love with workplace or anything of the sorts. It was because I got to see firsthand what the Fairtrade movement can do, and the way it truly changes peoples lives.

Also: Product Launch!! My sister's visit. Finding out from Facebook that an old friend of mine lives here and having lunch with him, his wife and new baby. That was super cool.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Microdancing -Babasonicos
How can I keep from singing -Libera Choir version.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Sadder. This time last year I had just started an exciting job with more pay. This year I have no job, no pay and no prospects. I am a better person though.
b) thinner or fatter? About the same
c) richer or poorer? Hmmmmm. I am going to skip this one.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Gotten excited about stuff. Played more. Felt happier. Exercised more.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I wish I had worried less, gotten less angry, lost my patience less.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my Husband in our Flat in London.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I know this is really corny but Yes. I fell in love with life again after YEARS of thinking it was bleh.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Dragon's Den, Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, the UK version.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope

24. What was the best book you read?
Not the best writing out there but the "Twilight" series by Stephenie Meyer seem to be made of some sort of drug. Not only could I not put them down but as soon as I finished one, I had to have the next one. Immediately.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Can we skip this one too? I am not very musical. I am struggling with this though, I think I have to work on that a bit more. Maybe it will be a New Year's Resolution.


26. What did you want and get?
A woolen jumper (sweater) from Howies


27. What did you want and not get?
A job. A new flat to live in. A job for husband. Sigh.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Somers Town was really good.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I had an amazing birthday. My sister came over to visit and I went out for dinner with friends. It really wasn't that spectacular but it made me realize how many wonderful friends I've made in this country which I wasn't expecting. I turned 31.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
One thing huh? Possibly Husband having a proper job.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Confused but tried for the most part to look decent. (Am working on that one too, it's easier when you have a bigger budget)

32. What kept you sane?
Abraham-Hicks

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Gordon Ramsay. I didn't care for him before, but then I started watching Kitchen Nightmares and changed my mind. I don't find him good looking or anything, but he is still... mesmerizing.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Are you kidding? The economy collapsed, and then I lost my job. Wah.

35. Who did you miss?
I missed my mexican friends the most. I really miss Latin American chat, and inside jokes, and just calling people for a chat or a bit of gossip. Friendships here are good but they are quite superficial. I don't really have anyone to talk intimately to you know? Share the juicy private stuff Sex and the City- style.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
That would be my Colombian friend Andrea. She is a breath of fresh air.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
It's not situations that bring you happiness. It's you.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

I don't want to know, I don't want to go,
I don't want to go back into the city.
It's just a long long long lonely taxi ride
Going nowhere.

That is it for me. It was quite cool to look back on this year. I realized I spent most of it fearing Husband would want to go back to Mexico, hence, the lyrics.

If you want to join in, check out the directions on her site.

0 comments: