THE FORGETTABLE YEAR

on Dec 28, 2008

When I was about 11 or so, Christmas became sort of cursed. Every single Christmas there was a 'tragedy'. Lets see, there was the one where my mom left my dad in the middle of dinner. Yep, as in pack my bags, gone, never see you again. I am not kidding. I am so not kidding.

Then there was the One where my cousin decided to get married that day. The groom got so sick he fainted, and the food ran out leaving most guests hungry. There was no Christmas at all that year for me, no tree, no presents, no forcing us to go to church. Nothing.

Another year my uncle had a heart attack and we spent it in the hospital.

There was also the time my mom decided to spend it with her then boyfriend, and my sister and I rebelled and decided WE WOULD NOT GO. Only my sister spent it with HER boyfriend I ended up spending it ALONE with a 7/11 tuna sandwich for dinner, watching holiday movies on TV. I was 15.

Christmas did get better over the years, but I have had really bad ones.

Anyway, I really don't want to get into the drama, because I am sure loads of people have had worse holidays than I have and besides, that is all in the past and done with. I guess what I want to say is that this year was a bit unremarkable. It was not horrible or anything, but it wasn't great either. I am still very, very grateful. I have a wonderful husband to spend it with, we had enough money for a proper dinner and we talked to our families through the magic of webcams. There was nobody leaving, or being sick, or left alone or family feuds or grudges to heal. I

guess this will be the forgettable year. The year that skips our minds in the sea of other years, other events, other dramas.

I'm glad 2008 is coming to an end. I'm ready now for 2009.

0 comments: