RUPERT UPDATE

on Dec 6, 2008

Well.

First of all, thank you everybody for your comments on Rupert. It's so amazing to realize people out there are actually reading, and have so much useful information about everything. I should have posted a picture of it before repotting it, because then I would have known that the worst possible thing I could do to Rupert was precisely that. I would have also realized the poor thing was completely overwatered, and would have then hopefully saved its roots by only changing the soil and letting it recover.

Unfortunately, I did not know it was a peace lily, and thus did not conduct any kind of useful research before repotting it. It also does not help that it's dead cold now here, and my flat has no heating. Predictaby, I guess, Rupert is, uhm dead? How do I tell if it's dead? The only three leaves it had are now completely brown and srhivelled, and I don't see any new shoots coming through. Should I give it a couple more weeks, or should I just give up and mourn it? Could it be hibernating? If the roots were dead, what would they look like?

I would have loved to save Rupert. It would have been a live reminder of the fact that for the first time in my life not only did I love every single thing about my job, but that I made it happen (yup, a la "The Secret"). It would have been a nice memento to keep from the amazing experience that it was to work for a company that made a difference. Sigh. Sorry Rupert, I hope plant heaven is bug free, full of healthy soil and lots of warm light.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww. Poor rupert! Well, you tried, and that counts for a lot. Wait until spring, and you can buy a new peace lily to commemorate rupert and your wonderful job. :)