WHY NOT A RECIPE

on Nov 18, 2008

Hello!! I am stuck in bed with a Cold From Hell. Or maybe it is the flu? I don't know what the difference is, is it the Fever? The degree of illness? The length of the suffering?

Anyway, I haven't felt like posting but I
want to, so without further ado, I give you... a recipe. An authentic Mexican one:

Molletes (Pronounced Moh-yet-eh-s)

Ingredients:

  • 1 Tin of black beans (for those who live in the States, you can use a tin of your favourite refried beans although I think they are too sweet)
  • Butter
  • Baguette or other crusty bread
  • Havarti, mozzarella, american or any mild cheese (Do not buy the pre-shredded kind, it does not melt well in my opinion)

Pico de Gallo sauce:
  • 2 Medium sized tomatoes
  • 1/2 Medium sized onion or whole, if desired
  • 1/2 Fresh Green chili (I use a whole one or two if it is small, but I am Mexican, I like my chili)
  • 1 Lime
  • Sprig of coriander (Uh, is it called Cilantro in America?)

For the Salsa:

Chop the onion, coriander and tomatoes. Slice chilli lengthwise and take seeds out with a small knife. (Seeds in chili are what is most spicy so getting rid of them makes the sauce milder) Chop chilli. Combine onions, tomato, chili and coriander in a bowl and squeeze the juice of a lime. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix until thoroughly combined. Salsa keeps in fridge for about 5 days.

For the Molletes

Open tin of beans and drain only half the juice. In a food processor mash beans until a thick paste is formed. Heat beans in a pan, moving constantly. Season to taste. (If you are a flavour freak, you can season with onion and garlic powder or with a cube of chicken stock)

Cut baguette in 3 pieces and then each piece lengthwise (as if you were to make a sandwich). Butter baguette. Spread beans on buttered baguette and top with cheese slices. Put under grill until cheese bubbles.

Top each Mollete with mexican salsa and dig in.

If feeling naughty, top molletes with chorizo, ham or shredded chicken before adding the cheese and putting in grill. Also, if feeling naughty eat with hands as if it were pizza.

----------
I could sooo have this for dinner tonight, but I am out of ingredients and am banned from leaving the house (see above: cold from hell) but I hope it appeals to someone out there and can enjoy them in my place.





2 comments:

Bethtastic said...

Man that sounds tasty! I might just run to the store and get some ingredients. :)
Sorry about that cold. They're all over around here too, and we're the middle of almost nowhere USA!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, that sounds wonderful!!! If were were on the same continent, I would make you some and bring it over!
(and btw, yes, it is called cilantro here. I wonder why it's different?)